Responding to a Lawsuit
If you've been served with a lawsuit naming you as a defendant, you may be feeling shocked, angered, or nervous.
Whether you are representing yourself in court (“pro se” or “pro per”) — or are an attorney representing a defendant — you must evaluate and select the best strategic response to the plaintiff's complaint — if you want to start your defense on solid ground.
Litigation attorney Neer Lerner breaks down the process, defines key early litigation terms, and provides easy-to-understand examples in Getting Sued: How to Respond to a Lawsuit.
Mounting an Effective Defense to the Lawsuit
In the videos, you'll learn:
- Common legal grounds for challenging a complaint and getting the case dismissed without a trial
- Why you must think like a plaintiff if you want to present your defense effectively
- How and when to start planning and preparing your defense
- Whether or not you have grounds to file a cross-claim (AKA cross-complaint, crossclaim, etc.) against the plaintiff or others
Crafting a Response to the Lawsuit
The videos will dive deep into the different types of responses to a lawsuit. You'll learn essential information to help you prepare your response, including:
- What to consider when deciding to file an answer or motion to dismiss
- Tips and strategies for preparing an answer or motion to dismiss (including sample answers and motion to dismiss)
- How to evaluate the allegations and challenge or deny the plaintiff's complaint
- Tips on avoiding missteps in early litigation that can cost you the case
- Steps to identify if the plaintiff's claims (causes of action) will hold up in court
Be your best advocate: Study Getting Sued: How to Respond to a Lawsuit (and your jurisdiction's laws and court rules) — and begin your formidable defense today.
For more information on filing or defending a lawsuit, be sure to view Courtroom Introduction: Etiquette, Procedure, and Who’s Who? and Writing a Pre-Lawsuit Demand Letter.
Sample answers (general denial and specific denial) are available for download with purchase.